Saturday, April 4, 2015

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun- When I was Young

Today is my 31st birthday! I thought Randy (From Genea-Musings)'s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun's topic is appropriate for my birthday--- here's the link: When I was Young. This should be fun!! His challenge is to do only questions 1-5 of the original post by Geneablogger Alona Tester, but I thought I'd do the whole 25 questions:

Here's Mine:

1. Do you (or your parents) have any memorabilia from when you were a baby?

I have lots of pictures and then I have one of my first pairs of shoes- with a little baby lift on them! :)



2. Do you know if you were named after anyone? 

I was named after the 1969 song "Carrie Anne" by The Hollies. Here's a link to the song:

Carrie Anne by The Hollies


3. And do you know of any other names your parents might have named you?

I was told that if I hadn't been named Carrie, another option was Brooke...

4. What is your earliest memory?

I think one of my earliest memories is living in Round Rock Texas when I was in Kindergarten (around 1989)-- I remember we would get to school earlier, go to the Library and watch Gummi Bears! LOL I don't know if this was a usual event, but it was definitely memorable!



5. Did your parent/s (or older siblings) read, sing or tell stories to you? Do you remember any of these?

I remember my dad would always read me the "Piggy Book".

6. When you were young, do you remember what it was that you wanted to grow up to be?

I wanted to be a doctor.

7. Did you have a favorite teacher at school?

My favorite teacher in elementary school was Mrs. Keir (Spelling?), Middle school was Mr. Davidson and then High School was Mrs. Hahn.

8. How did you get to school?

I rode the bus or walked-- varied because we moved a lot.

9. What games did playtime involve?

We did a lot of Hide-n-Seek and Tag.

10. Did you have a cubby house?

I'm assuming this question means a club house??? LOL We had a couple different ones. My sister and I had one that I think my dad built for us when we lived in Texas- it was too big to take with us when we moved to Arizona. Then, in Arizona, we had a silly playhouse that I remember being in an old chicken coup that our neighbor had. The thought grosses me out now, but I remember it being pretty cool.

11. What was something you remember from an early family holiday?

Just that my mom would always wrap our presents with paper and then put numbers on them rather than names so that we wouldn't sneak into them!

12. What is a memory from one of your childhood birthday's or Christmas?

One earlier birthday I remember living in Texas, so maybe it was my sister and my 5th birthday? I remember it being at a park and I got a pair of fancy gloves to keep warm- but it wasn't like normal gloves, it was- I don't know the name of it- one giant tube of material that you put both hands into facing each other-- hard to describe.

13. What childhood injuries do you remember?

I didn't really get hurt a lot--- I just had a lot of surgeries....

14. What was your first pet?

I remember my first pet that was ONLY mine was a white bunny named Kristi!

15. Did your grandparents, or older relatives tell you stories of "when I was young...?"

No, none that I can remember.

16. What was entertainment when you were young?

Games like hide-n-seek, tag, riding bikes, going to parks, swimming, listening and taping music off the radio, playing nintendo, TGIF on ABC :)

17. Do you remember what it was like when your family got a new fangled invention (ie. telephone, TV, VCR, Microwave, Computer)? 

I remember when we got our first computer-- I think I was in the 5th grade or around there--- my mom was on it a lot...she liked to play games and go into the chat rooms. She would always get mad if we picked up the phone and kicked her off line! LOL

18. Did you family have a TV? Was it B&W or Color? And how many channels did you get?

We had a color TV-- I don't know how many channels it had but we had one in the living room and I think one in my parents room...I think.

19. Did you family move house when you were young? Do you remember it?

We moved a lot and I remember most of them-- not gonna list the addresses or how many times we moved, but I'll list the states-- from Birth to 18, I moved from Ohio to Texas to Arizona.

20. Was your family involved in any natural disasters happening during your childhood?

Nope- none.

21. Is there any particular music that when you hear it, sparks a childhood memory?

Whenever I heard "oldies" music- 50s and 60s, I think of sitting out in lawn chairs with my dad-- he would be doing something in the garage or reading a car magazine and my sister and I would be reading magazines or books.

22. What is something that an older family member taught you to do?

Nothing that I can think of--- the only older family members that I was really around were my parents...

23. What are brands that you remember from when you were a kid?

We didn't really buy a lot of brand-name things--- So I don't know.

24. Did you used to collect anything?

I went through a lot of collections- Stickers, Bears, Lurlene McDaniel Books, Angel Figurines, pogs.

25. Share your favorite childhood memory. 

My childhood wasn't really happy-- I just remember having a lot of surgeries and going to school...but one of my favorite ones is when my best friend Mandy and my sister Nicole would go to the park and pretend that we were triplets- My sister and I are actually twins- but mandy liked to pretend that she was our triplet. One time when we went to a park we didn't really go to very often, we actually convinced a family that we were triplets and that our mom was a quadruplet ( or something like that) LOL-- we were little liars!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie - this is the second time this year that I have heard of someone numbering Christmas presents rather than putting names on them. I think it is such a smart idea and wonder why I haven't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, thanks for taking part in the geneameme. And yes, cubby house would be the same as club house (different names in different countries). I've not heard of the numbering presents idea before, but it is an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you check my new article apple fruit price : I desire you may adore it :)

    ReplyDelete