Saturday, August 18, 2018

Update on Anita M. Seaver (52 Ancestors, Week 50)



On May 8, 2015, I wrote a blog post about my grand aunt as part of my 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks project. You can view this blog post Here.

Originally, I thought that Anita only had 2 children- 2 daughters, Tina and Monte. This is what I was told by my mother and then from what I read in newspapers. However, this summer, I found a different newspaper article states that Anita had 2 other children whom I’d never even heard of.


Here’s the article:  (I have highlighted the area of the 2 other children discovered)



Nevada State Journal- Reno, NV, 14 Apr 1957

TWO PERSONS KILLED IN HEAD-ON CRASH

Three Others injured; Little Girl in Critical Condition

Two person were killed and an eight-year-old girl critically injured early yesterday morning in a head-on collision near the northern approach to Lakeview Hill about four miles north of Carson City on Highway 395.
Dead are Mrs. Anita Mae Montgomery, 34, of Steamboat, who was driving a northbound auto, and Ronald Frank Malespin, 22, of Carson City, driver of the Southbound car.

State Highway patrol officers said Malespin’s car was in the wrong lane at the time of the impact. Others riding with Mrs. Montgomery were her husband, Clifford M., a Reno machinery company employee, and their two children, Tina, 8, and Montie Marie, 2.
Officers said the mishap occurred at about 2:00 a.m. and that both cars were mangled almost beyond identification.

Child Badly Hurt

The 8-year-old Montgomery girl was reported in critical condition at Carson Tahoe hospital following emergency surgery. Her sister suffered only minor cuts and bruises. The father sustained head injuries.
Reno Township Coroner William Beemer, who investigated the deaths, said the accident occurred just north of the Washoe county line. He said Mrs. Montgomery was killed instantly and that Malespin died en route to the hospital.

No Skid Marks

Investigating officers theorized the accident could have possibly been caused by a blowout on Malespin’s station wagon, but no skid marks were found in either traffic lane.

Cutting torches were used on the Montgomery auto before her body could be removed from the wreckage.

Cooperating in the investigation were the Nevada Highway patrol, Carson City Police and Washoe and Ormsby county sheriff’s office.

Funeral services for Mrs. Montgomery are pending at the Capital City Mortuary. She was born in Atlanta, Ind., June 5, 1922. Survivors include her mother, Mrs. Myron French, of Carson City and two children by a previous marriage, Patricia and Robert Quist of Rock Island, Illinois. Mrs. Montgomery had lived in Steamboat for several months.

Services for Malespin also are pending at the mortuary. He is survived by his widow, Myra, of Carson City.

The deaths were the 25th and 26th reported on Nevada highway this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After researching these two names, I discovered Anita’s son, Robert had 3 children. I found one of his grand-daughter’s on Facebook and was able to connect with her mother, Robert’s middle daughter. (I am leaving out names out of respect for living relatives and their privacy). I was actually able to talk to her on the phone, which most people I contact online, it’s very short and only through email or messenger.

After talking to my cousin, I discovered that Anita married Eugene Robert Quist and the two of them had 3 children-

1. Patricia (b. 1942)
2. Robert Eugene (1944-2015)
3. Tina Elizabeth (1948-1957) (passed away in the same accident as her mother)

When Anita remarried Clifford Montgomery (b. 1922), she and Clifford had a daughter, Monte Marie Montgomery (b. 1955). Anita abandoned Patricia and Robert, left them with their father Eugene and took her two youngest daughters and moved to Nevada. I suppose on a different level, it was a good thing that she left Robert and Patricia because they could have been killed in the accident that killed their mother and sister.

Before this, I also didn’t know whatever happened to Monte, Anita’s youngest daughter. She survived the car accident, at the age of 2, along with her father. I think my cousin said she lives in Washington (I can’t quite remember). Robert and Monte would write letters to each other and they stay connected with one another, which I think is just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment