Friday, January 3, 2020

Sylvan Cemetery (Citrus Heights, California)

Early last year (2019), I visited Sylvan Cemetery in Citrus Heights, California. This is a cemetery located a couple miles from my home in Fair Oaks. It's not a huge cemetery, but since I did have my two small children with me, I wasn't able to look gravestone-to-gravestone for the one I was looking for. I ended up emailing them when I got home and returned to the park later.

Sylvan Cemetery
7401 Auburn Blvd
Citrus Heights, California
95610
Hours: Daily- 8-3:30pm






I didn't visit the office at all, like I said, I emailed them but they do have an email on their website if you want to email them for a map or location of a gravestone. They were very helpful! 


~Nathaniel H. Mendenhall (1871-1972) & Sally Dee Mendenhall (1881-1935)

Nathaniel Hobson Mendenhall is my 4th cousin, 5x removed and Sally was his wife. They are buried together in Sylvan Cemetery in the Old Section, Map 8. 






Nathaniel Mendenhall
09 Mar 1871- New London, Indiana
03 Apr 1972- Placer County, California 

Sally Dee Ponder
23 Jan 1881- Kentucky                                              
04 Nov 1935- Citrus Heights, California 
          (Daughter of James F. Ponder & Mary Foster)

Nathaniel and Sally were married on 09 Jul 1906. I couldn't find Nathan in the 1940 U.S. Census records, but in 1930, they were both still living in Rockford, Illinois. Nathaniel was working as a cleaner at a Dry Cleaning Company. They must have moved to California between 1930 and 1935 when Sally died.
I couldn't find any evidence of children. 



No comments:

Post a Comment