Sunday, October 27, 2019

Leg Lengthening

When thinking about writing a new genealogy blog post, I always scan my brain for which ancestor to write about. But, I haven't written about myself yet. I am important in my family tree, just as anyone else is! (RIGHT?)

So, this one is about me. And today, I want to talk about this:

NOTE- THIS IS NOT ME. I wish I had a clear amazing picture from my own surgeries, but I don't. I got this one courtesy of Google.com.



This is the Ilizarov Apparatus, named after the orthopedic surgeon who pioneered the technique- Gavrill Abramovich Ilizarov (1921-1992) of the Soviet Union. 

This device is used to lengthen a limb. I have had this done twice on my right leg and once on my right arm. The first device (1992) looked like the one above- the metal cage was round surrounding the leg, except it was on my femur. I don't remember how long it was on, but it was lengthened 4 inches. 

This is me! In a medical journal! Before and After 4 inches. Sorry for the blurry picture.


The second time (1997) I had it done on my leg was the same time I had it on my arm. The leg was lengthened another 4 inches and the arm lengthened 3 inches. I do not have any pictures unfortunately. 

There are a lot of great website and videos out there that shows how the device works, but the short version (no pun intended) is that the external fixator is fixed into the bone from the outside of the body (as shown in the picture) after the bone is broken in half. With either an automatic movement with a battery or a key, the two halves of the limb are pulled apart VERY SLOWLY inside and new bone grows in between the gap provided. 

  This is a good photo explaining how it can straighten a deformed bone. 


Here is a FABULOUS video: (I totally wish I had her attitude when I had this growing up- actually makes me wish I could go back)




No comments:

Post a Comment