Thursday, October 24, 2019

Family History from Mary Kathaleena Hendricks


Personal families histories are so important, especially to genealogists! They give a different "view" of a person's life than most genealogical records show (census records, birth certificates, etc.). 

My grandmother was Dorothy Jean Hendricks (1926-2010)- you can read more about her HERE

In Jan 1972, my great-aunt Mary Kathaleena Hendricks, Dorothy's sister, wrote a family history- I have a copy of it and thought I'd share her words with the world; 

 



Here's the transcription so you don't have to read those tiny pictures! ❤ (If there is a drastic typo/error, I'll fix it with parenthesis) 



January 1972

My parents had 11 children. Their first born was a boy named Harry Oliver on November 17, 1903. He lived a wonderful life for 69 years. Finally he discovered from his doctor he had cancer. A dreadful disease. He had two operations and the last one was final. Thank God he was a Christian so he went to meet his savior. He had a good life with his wife Lucile. They were both married before. He had two sons and she had a son and a daughter. Her son and daughter gave them grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He truly was a family man: loved all of them and they loved him. Lucile's son Forrest was with im (him) 'til the end. He said he called out all of his brothers and sisters names before the end. I know and I believe he is asleep in Jesus.

Their second child was a girl named Grace. A beautiful girl who only lived to be 13 years of age. She died during the flu epidemic during World War I. With her flu, she took pneumonia and turned for the worse on Halloween. She tried to raise up and see us kids dressed up, she was always happiness when she was around. The thought of seeing her quiet and still in a casket,I knew I couldn't stand seeing her laying there silent. Dad and Mom had a time with me, it broke my heart. I know she is asleep with Jesus also. If she had lived, she would be 68 years old.

Their third child was born January 28, 1906 and was named Ida Pauline. She is 66 years old. She married Lee Ralston and in their marriage there were three sons, Donald, Merle and Ralph. They have two grandchildren- a girl by Ralph and one on the way due in April: Merle gave them one grandson. Their first born was a son named Donald. He was killed in Germany. He sure was a darling boy and a Christian one. I know Donald is asleep with Jesus. 

I was their fourth child. I was born December 11, 1908. I am 63 years old. They named me after my two wonderful grandmothers named Mary. My middle name was after two aunts Katherine and Lena so my full name is Mary Kathaleena. Our wonderful mother couldn't hardly believe she had a five year rest, that's what I would call it. Then my wonderful sister Catherine Virginia was born November 19, 1913. Catherine married Melvin Branham in January. In their marriage, they have two sons- Charles and Ronald. Sis Catherine is 56 years old. Charles has given them two grandchildren. One by his first wife a girl and a boy by his second wife. Their second son Ronald has two children. These are handsome young men and both are happily married. 

And then came another boy from this happy marriage and Mom and Dad named him Charles Woodrow. He was born during the time Woodrow Wilson was President. At that time our parents were looking for a middle name for Charles and Dad said, "Mertle, why not give this son of ours a middle name of Woodrow. This president of our country beems to be alright to me." So, Woodrow it was. Poor darling Mother had before this one was born run out of names. Now this was 1917 and Charles came on Ground Hog Day, February 2nd. He is 53 years old. In his first marriage, he had one daughter. They named her Patricia. In his second marriage to Virginia they were blessed with a son and a daughter. The daughter is named Beverly Ann and she is married and has a baby girl. Their son named John, better known as Johnny, as far as I know he is still a bachelor. I have no more information on this family or marriages. I hope I am right.

Now in between Charles and Melvin, Mother had, I am trying to figure out in my knowledge, sometime around Sis Catherine and Charles, had a miscarriage at 4 1/2 months. In their days, people named everyone and every woman knows at 4 1/2 months she feels life. Well, our first cousin Edna, our Aunt Annie's daughter, through her barren days. I am not able to give you this one's name. But Mother had another baby and Cousin Edna was so good to hear they named this one after her, Edna Viola. But a sad note comes in here, it died with spasms at 10 days old. 

Well, more sadness. A family next door to us house caught fire and Mother was ready to have another child. We lived so close to them, just think about this, every able man, woman and child in our town of Jeffersonville, Indiana, came in and saved all our possessions. Everybody around a one mile area was at that fire. The neighbors that lived in the house that burned up was named Baldwin. The flames were so high, everyone in seeing distance could see it. They had three boys and one daughter. She was asleep, taking a nap, and her coward father wasn't making an effort to rescue her. Our dad, bless his heart, told that coward to get back and away. He rolled up his sleeves and opened his shirt and went through the flaming house and rescued the little girl. That's the kind of man our dad was: he loved everybody. Mother was taken to a neighboring home. A lady they never even knew took her in and her baby was born dead. The doctor performed the operation to deliver the baby, he said the tragedy of the fire caused it. I can't remember what they named this baby. 

And then Mother had another child and this was named Melvin Clifford. I hope I am right about the middle name. This was one of Cousin Edna's boy friend's middle name. 

Now coming close to the end of a happy marriage, our darling mother thought once again her barren days were over and much to her surprise she got pregnant in her change of life. A baby was born, another girl: she had milk-like skin and big brown eyes just like Mother's. They say every change of life baby is beautiful (I agree. All of you sisters and brothers ought to see our Douglas Scott. He is 4 months old and he hasn't learned to stand on his feet and he is learning now he can move himself.). This year Harold and I got married by the way. And may I say, Dorothy Jean is still beautiful and is a mother of 8 children and 1 grand-child. Her first marriage ended leaving her with 3 children and carrying one. She was married to a good man named Paul Jeckering and he died with that horrible disease cancer. Well, she couldn't think of raising four children alone without a father, so she met a man named John Potchik. He was a confirmed bachelor, so he said, I have a ready made family. In their marriage, they have four darling boys. 

Well, some more about me. I met and fell head over heels in love with a handsome twin named Harold T. Johnson. We married after his mother died, October 2, 1926. In our marriage, God gave us three wonderful children - one son and two daughters. We have seven grandchildren. Doris Ann had Douglas Scott in early changes of life. Her daughter Pamela Gail will graduate this coming June and her youngest Beverly Ann will be 13 years old in April. Now coming to a close of this History our (of) our Family Tree, we are heading for our 50th year of marriage. We have been married going on 46 years, the golden years and I have Faith we are going to make it with God's help. 

"AMEN" 




One thought- Mary died in 1976, which would have been the year that she and her husband would have been married 50 years...She died in Oct. I have no idea what month they had married, so I'm sad to say, I don't know if they made it to their 50th Wedding Anniversary or not!!! 



Here are the names and dates of her family;

Father; Isaac Hendricks Jr. 1883-1942
Mother; Myrtle May Hyman 1884-1953


Their children: 

Harry Oliver (1903-1971)
Grace (1904-1917)
Ida Pauline (1906-1975)
Mary Kathaleena (1908-1976) (the one who wrote the history)
Charles Woodrow (1917-1973)
Edna Viola (1919-1919)
Melvin Clifford (1922-2002)
Dorothy Jean (1926-2010) (my grandmother)












No comments:

Post a Comment