Monday, September 14, 2020

A Conundrum!


While researching a Mendenhall name in the California death index (see previous posts of this series here), I came upon a very annoying "problem" that I just can't figure out!!

I was researching Marsha Mae Mendenhall, born 30 Oct 1944 in San Diego, California; mother's maiden name was Dershan.
I traced her line back to her great-grandparents: Arthur Mendenhall (1876-1904) & Eliza J. Huffman (b. 1878). 

Here is where I get confused.

I did find a grave for Arthur:
Art Mendenhall
b. 10 Oct 1876
d. 17 Sep 1904 
Buried in Springfield, Greene, Missouri


Hazelwood Cemetery
Springfield, Greene County, Missouri






Where it gets confusing- 

I found a newspaper article for an Arthur Mendenhall who died 17 Sep 1904 in Kansas City Missouri and his body was taken to Springfield to be buried- this would match the death date & burial site.

19 Sep 1904
The Kansas City Times
Kansas City, Missouri



The problem is- this Arthur Mendenhall was 35 years old...which would have his birth year around 1869. I even found a Missouri Death Record for him- his birth date being "abt 1869" and death "17 Sep 1904". 

So we have 2 Arthur Mendenhalls: 

1. Arthur Mendenhall                                2. Arthur Mendenhall
b. abt 1869                                                    b. 10 Oct 1876
d. 17 Sep 1904                                                d. 17 Sep 1904

I was able to find a census record for Arthur #2- matches what I have for my possible ancestor- wife's name, child's name, etc. However, I wasn't able to find any census records for Arthur #1. 
Either the grave is wrong or the news article and the death record are wrong... 

Needless to say, I'm not sure where to go from here. I can't find any parental information for either one of these two persons...




No comments:

Post a Comment