Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Tombstone Tuesday: Howard Mendenhall 1924-2005

Today, I needed a break from my kiddos and husband so I decided to drive a half an hour north to Rocklin (California) and search for a gravestone of my 8th cousin, 4x removed.

I found his grave on Findagrave.com...buried in Rocklin Cemetery. This is the picture on the site.

So, I jumped in the car, grabbed a strawberry acai refresher from Starbucks, turned up the radio (Pandora- Michael Buble radio) and set off for Rocklin.

With Google Maps, the cemetery was easy-enough to find but it's a fairly large site and I had no plot number to search by. I stopped by the office (which was closed because of Covid (open for appts only) ). Luckily, a man was leaving the office and he was super kind enough to lookup Howard's plot number for me!

At the time, there were several workers maintaining the grounds. I also saw some squirrels and a ton of geese... and I mean a TON... goose poop everywhere!

And found the grave of my distant cousin! 
I was a little disheartened... the gravestone has not been kept up... it's really dirty and weathered. Certainly different than the picture on Findagrave.com, which I can imagine was when it was new. 

I wanted to upload a video of all the geese but blogger is being difficult so Im uploading a tiktok a made of it this morning-


No comments:

Post a Comment