Thursday, June 18, 2020

My BIG Genealogy Mistake


Wow, to admit our faults! It's difficult sometimes!

I started researching my family tree for the first time around the age of 18 or 19 (2003-ish). My step-sister asked her dad about her family history and I had the thought- Well, I want to know mine, too! My mom gave me one piece of paper with a bunch of names. (Wish I still had that piece of paper!) I asked her questions about the ones I wasn't sure about.

Asking family is a fantastic first step in starting the researching process- of course. Those before you (more than likely) know more than you do. 

So, I got my grandmother's name...Helen Ruth Seaver (1923-1981). Okay, cool. Well, mom, do you know what her mother's name was? Automatically, without hesitation, she states- Ruby Mae FRENCH. 

My mom, Grandma (Helen), and Great-Grandma (Ruby)


So, I put that all in caps because it was wrong (kinda). (stay with me here...).

Now, the problem with being a new genealogist is- you don't know the "rules". I took my mother's "truth" as the ultimate truth. I didn't fact check my great grand-mother's maiden name. Turns out, it wasn't her maiden name. It was the name of her second husband after my great-grandfather had died. This would be all and okay, however, I didn't discover this until YEARS LATER! I didn't do genealogy everyday- like I do now. It was a hobby I did in between college homework and during my hip replacement. I wasn't truly passionate and active until I had my son Jack in 2011. 

So, I had researched a direct line for Ruby Mae French, believe it or not. There was a Ruby Mae French, born around 1901 (same as great-grandma) in Indiana. I think I had her ancestors back maybe 5 or 6 generations! Then, one year- Couldn't tell you when this happened to be honest-- someone came to me via email on Ancestry.com with Ruby's obituary, stating her maiden name, the name of her second husband and then her parents names. She was Ruby Mae Henderson. Not, Ruby Mae French. 

Ruby Mae Henderson (1901-1990) married first to Otto Watson Seaver (1901-1972), had 2 daughters and then married Myron Andrew French after 1972 (marriage date unknown). 

You can read more about Ruby and see some beautiful pictures on her 52 Ancestors biography page here.


So, I learned a VALUABLE lesson. Check your sources. Write down your sources. Log everything because then, if you question it, you don't have to rely on memory! :) 





3 comments:

  1. wow great.. ......keep sharing
    please visit my blog
    https://kidscricketcoaching.blogspot.com/2020/06/episode-19-hook-shot-in-cricket-13062020.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and I truly do relate! A few days ago I wrote a post about my parents' 65 wedding anniversary. My Mum called the next day and told me I had it all wrong... So I wrote an update and life goes on! https://generationsofnomads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all make mistakes.I am sure you had fun doing the research.

    ReplyDelete