Monday, January 5, 2015

Mappy Monday: Dayton, Ohio


My 2nd great grandfather- Marion Richard "Mac" Mendenhall (1873-1948) died in Dayton, Ohio.

Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio:






Even though I've only been to Dayton a handful of times, it holds a special place in my heart because that is where I was born. I would love to go back someday- as an adult- and see where my ancestors lived!

Dayton is the 6th largest city in Ohio with a population of 141,527 (2010 census). It was settled in 1796 and founded as a city in 1805. It was settled by 12 settlers known as "The Thompson Party". 

There are many famous people from Dayton, but the most popular one(s) are the Wright Brothers- inventors of the world's first airplane. 




The National Cash Register Company (NCR) was formed in Dayton and manufactured the first mechanical cash registers- my grandfather worked there for some time before his death.





In March 1913, there was a huge flood- the Great Dayton Flood- destroyed many homes, businesses and killed many people.






This is a really interested newspaper article from the 1930s: 








No comments:

Post a Comment