Saturday, July 4, 2020

A Million Mendenhalls Introduction & My Mendenhall Notebooks


Hi! Happy 4th of July!

I started researching my family tree around 2003, when I was a Senior in high school, but didn't really get fully into genealogy until I became a mother in 2011. Now, I'm addicted. I try to work on my research daily, although it gets difficult sometimes. I don't always have time. 

In  Feb 2015, I started fully researching my Mendenhall side of the family. I've kept notebook logs of everyone I've researched. 

Mendenhall Notebooks


First Book~
The first book is the smallest notebook I have. It covers dates Feb 2015-Aug 2017. Obviously, I didn't work on it too often. I also didn't SOURCE. This was a huge thing I had to fix once I really got into Genealogy and doing it RIGHT (I didn't do this until later). 
Was only in the "A's" of my Mendenhall family- A initial to Anna (1805-1857).
Total in my tree after book one- 54,279

Second Book~
In my second notebook, I cover dates August 2017-Dec 2017. This one went faster because I covered and went through all the graves on Findagrave.com. Some people  I couldn't add to my tree because I couldn't find the connection. This book covers only Alabama- 1/2 of Iowa and I added 9,252 people to my tree- equally 63,531.

Third Book~
My third book is my largest one- a 5 subject notebook where most of the pages weren't torn out. It dates Dec 2017-July 2018 and finishes the Findagrave.com project and I started back with the "A's" in the Mendenhall line (ending with Asenath Mendenhall (1828-1918). At the end of the book, I had 71,492 people in my tree. 

Fourth Book~
I am currently using this notebook. I started it July 9, 2018- so it's been almost 2 years. This is also a 5 subject notebook, but unfortunately, pages have been torn out :( I am currently in the "Ch" of the Mendenhall line- Through the years, I have returned to the beginning of the "A's" and sourced everything. Hence, why it's taken me this long to get to the "Ch's". :)


So now, I have decided to dive back into my Million Mendenhall's project that I started- I used to blog about it all the time while doing my research, but then stopped blogging about it (although, I was still researching). You can see previous posts here. This new look is going to be a bit different. I will make a separate Page on my blog where you can view the posts. 



2 comments:

  1. John Mendenhall is my 10th great grandfather. I look forward to seeing your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer thanks for your comment! Which John Mendenhall is your 10th great grandfather? I have several posts about the mendenhalls

      Delete