Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sharing Memories- Week 3: Driver's Licence



52 Weeks of Sharing Memories
A Challenge seen on:

The Olive Tree Genealogy


Ah, getting my drivers licence...looking back at it now- I was a TERRIBLE driver! :)

I got my licence before all of my friends and peers at school because I was a year older than everyone else--- all because of repeating kindergarten (Refresh your memory here).

I was 15 when I got my permit and 16 when I got my licence...and I think I was a sophomore in High School. I remember several people teaching me to drive- my dad telling me to "get the big picture"- something I didn't understand until years later....my mom teaching me to park the day OF the test....and then my (ex) sister-in-law teaching me to drive around town. Somebody (don't remember who) attempted to teach me to parallel park, but I never actually got that one down. During the test, the guy asked me to parallel park and simply told him I couldn't...I didn't get marked off and he told me this: "well, if you ever leave Prescott [Arizona], make sure you learn"...OK, thanks!

My husband taught me to parallel park maybe...two years ago and I'm 30...that's kinda sad actually LOL (Teach your teens how to parallel park!)

My driving test went fairly well, I think. I know I got points marked off because I turned too soon into a turn lane...there were old lines and I guess you get marked off for that. I passed the first try. :) 

My first car was a 1984 Pontiac Phoenix (BOAT!) that we received free from a friend of the family. I don't remember it having power steering...and the gear shift - a thin stick-looking thing- broke and my dad actually "replaced" it with a screwdriver (NOT KIDDING!)

My car looked similar to this- but it was white---thank you Google for the picture.


It wasn't too long before I sold that car to some desperate people at a flea market for $800, took the $200 I had saved up and I bought a 1992 Ford Mustang- the car that I actually say was my FIRST car- because I loved that car. I had it for a long time and I even delivered pizza in it! 

This wasn't my car...but thank you Google for having a picture of what my car looked like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment