Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sharing Memories- Week 4: 3rd Grade


52 Weeks of Sharing Memories
A Challenge seen on:
                                     The Olive Tree Genealogy
                                       Link: Here

Today's prompt is: Playing Hooky in Grade 2 and 3...


I didn't play hooky in these grades...I find it odd that a kid would! I was always a goodie-two-shoes though LOL 

SO, I'll still write about these grades, but it won't consist of playing hooky... 

The 3rd grade was memorable because I only went to school maybe half of the entire year. My teacher was Mrs. Kier (If I remember right)...and I had my first leg lengthening device on that year. 

Here's what it looked like: 

Photo Courtesy of Google


The above picture is just similar to the one that I wore- mine was only on the right leg, connecting to the femur and just below the knee.

I remember going to school in a very large wheel chair and the battery pack from the device would go off in class. The nurse or principal would have to call my mom to bring me a new one. I remember one time, we didn't have an extra battery and we had to go all the way to Scottsdale to get a new one from my doctor- it was about a two hour drive.

I was also home-schooled that year by a woman named Mrs. Soto. She would come to the house every morning. Sometimes I would just bawl because I was so tired and didn't want to participate...It was often hard to sleep with that huge contraption on my leg.

Although it was painful, I got a lot of attention with that device on. I remember walking around the outdoor swap meet and this actor (a guy from an Indiana Jones movie- my parents knew who he was)- he actually followed us through the park until he got the courage to say hello and ask what was wrong with my leg. People are always very curious about it...even now- years later. I tell them I had it done twice on my leg and once on my arm and they are just fascinated by it. It's amusing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I wouldn't have known what that device was for if I saw it on someone's leg or arm.

    ReplyDelete