Saturday, September 13, 2014

Surname Saturday- Hendricks



Happy Saturday everyone!

Today's Surname- Hendricks

My grandmother was Dorothy Jean Hendricks, born 09 Jun 1926 in Jeffersonville, Indiana. You can read more about her in my 52 Ancestors blog post:  Dorothy Jean Hendricks

To really sum-up the name Hendricks in my family line came from Arnhem, Netherlands. My 8th great grandfather (Dorothy's 7th great grandfather) - Hendrick Daniel Hendrickson (1636-1677) came to America- he arrived in Maryland in 1662. 

Hendricks:

As we all know, Hendricks is a very popular surname...

"Hendricks" was first records in Europe with some four hundred surname spelling variations in the medieval times. 

The earliest known surname recording from any country is believed to be that of Thomas Henery of Kent, England in the year 1275 (Source).

Spelling variations: Henrich, Hendrich, Henrick, Hendry, Henry, Henryson, Hendrick, Henrik, and Hendrickson.

Ancestry:

There are 970 names on the U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s.

There are 739 names on the U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992.



Findagrave:

When I typed in "Hendricks" into the search engine for Findagrave.com, it came up with :
"This search would return 22,301 records. Please go back and refine your search so it returns fewer than 10,000 records."


1 comment:

  1. I haven't explored my Hendricks line yet. I will need a Sherpa when I do for this will be a giant mountain to tame.

    ReplyDelete